Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, April 11, 2011

Home repairs and a baby girl on the mend....

So last Monday....pretty much a week ago, a series of storms rolled through. Much like the ones that are about to roll through tonight and they left this on the back deck.........

My tent was on the deck and it pretty much took a beating so I'm not so sure the UGA tent has much more life in it after the beach trip and now a hail storm. That being said...all of that hail came from the west - our house faces west - the rain, hail, wind, deluge pummeled our western facing house with sideways rain, hail, and wind - all of that equals...........leaking single pane windows.

So, in heat that was reminiscent of June/July I decided that I'd rectify this situation on Saturday. I have glazing. I have a ladder. Done deal. Well...some one that owned our home prior to the Hall family residing here felt it necessary to plant Holly bushes in front of the house and those bushes are in front of the windows that were beaten to hell and back last week. I'll cover up! So I put on an INSULATED bib overall that should be used in 30 degree weather when it was 85 degrees. Stood on a ladder and reglazed windows while my insulated bibs protected me from the devil bush trying to scratch bloody welts on my legs. I remembered doing something like this years ago when I worked at the Fields Ferry Golf Course one summer....I had to edge sand traps and the edger was throwing sand at you like a blaster so myself and a friend working there come up with the idea to wear rubberized rain gear as protection. It worked but I think we lost about 20 lbs that day...same for me this Saturday. Not my brightest moment but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes and windows pouring water were not going to cut it.....big test tonight!

Sunday had me repairing leaks around the front door and repainting that mess too. Our front door surround looked awful and something had to be done there as well because the caulking had dried and water was trying to come in behind all of that as well.....I'm telling you, we had one hell of a flood here and any crack the rain could went there. Kim and Reese played outside while I was painting and caulking on Sunday morning and Pooks had a blast with a new bubble maker and the pirate boat. She LOVES bubbles and Kim got the king daddy of all bubble blowers so Reese was in heaven. Some of the neighbor kids came over and the normal terrorizer wasn't quite as terrorizing on Sunday....a nice change that won't last I'm sure.

I mentioned that Reese was on the mend as she had been wrestling with fevers and just general ickiness all week but while I was traveling, Kim brought Pooks home looking like this.

If you didn't know my daughter and had never seen her before - you could probably assume she wasn't feeling up to speed. Those aren't tears so much as just watery eyes. Yucky nose, cough, tired.....just blah! Poor thing was in a bad way but she got better over the weekend with a pop of Benadryl and some kids Motrin.(Grape Ape) Her fevers were being knocked out by the Motrin but the Benadryl was new to our list of tools. It sort of hops her up for a little bit but then in true Benadryl fashion....she was a goner and slept pretty decent.

After getting a little better each day..Reese was back to her normal self on Sunday and I was able to catch Mommy and Pooks playing around a little so I grabbed a few candids of Mommy/Reesie time.

I caught Mommy eating on the job. Poor little Reese is busy unwrapping and working while M-O-M-M-Y was stealing a bite. Daddy sees all!

That's pretty much the updates from our end. My grandmother is still in the hospital nursing an ever changing list of maladies. Reports are that she is getting a little better but some days are obviously better than others. I think that she's got a long road ahead of her and some huge hills to climb in order to be living in her own home without some supervision. Living in what I'll call the Sunset years of her life....she has to be a little over it. I know she misses Papa, I know she misses being the Queen that he made her, I know she misses being able to do what she was once able to do...It's such a shame that our reward for a life well lived is to sort of suffer through loss....tragedy....and being alone without the one or ones that you love. The term nursing home has been brought up and I've fought back a little - even gone so far as to doubt that the right thing was being done when that was mentioned. Nursing home always brought up the notion of "being put out to pasture". Sort of put some place to dwell but not live.

I should know my role in this situation and be supportive but sometimes I have a hard time doing that. It's hard to have these conversations with my family because I don't like to hear what they're saying sometimes and questioning a decision or not understanding a view point isn't an easy thing. I have a take no prisoners type of argument style....and when pushed to a point, I'll pretty much just let it rip. I don't have a governer on my tongue so what comes out is just passion and frustration. I'm pretty level headed up to a point and then....when I've reached that point where I can't take any more of whatever it is...well, I push back. Maybe one day I'll learn a life lesson there but Kim isn't a good one to learn from. She's too damn passive and I'm a little bit more like the bull in the china shop. Kim is able to can up those emotions and put them on a shelf to deal with at a later time - in a less emotional state. Maybe I should learn to can things and learn to leave well enough alone.

Or maybe stab something in my eye....I think that would be easier.

I digress....Pray for continued healing for my Grandmother. Pray that Kim will teach me how to can emotions someday (hahahahaha) and keep some good words in there for our little family. Everyone needs a prayer now and then. Thanks!

No comments: