Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Kimmy did a 5K!

We're really trying to get in shape and part of that plan is running 5k races and building to 10ks. As an example, I went online today and signed up for the Peachtree Road Race this year. It's a lotto system but I'm hoping that MAYBE, JUST MAYBE...we'll get picked. Another example - Kim just completed her first 5k this weekend. She ran the Eagle Mountain 5K which was put on by the Etowah High School track team to earn dollars for track equipment. A decent enough investment but they really should get the word out a little more. I'd estimate 75-100 people ran the race and half of those entrants were track kids that run like scalded dogs. I've been to about 5 different events so far and this was by far the fastest and least attended race of them all. I'll take a stab in the dark and say that of the estimated 100 runners, 70 finished below 30 minutes. Figure that out in your head - 10 minute mile pace equals 6 mph for the entire 3.1 miles...and you need to ratchet it up a little in there to beat the 30 minutes because of the additional tenth of a mile. Run that on a treadmill and you'll see why both mine, and Kim's aspirations of sub-30 minute 5Ks is pretty tough. 70 flipping percent ran FASTER!!! By alot in most cases!!!! Eh well.

The time was unofficial but Kim crossed the finish line just under 36 minutes. I'm so proud of her for doing this as this is a huge milestone for a non-runner. This will get in your blood and make you competitive and make you want to run harder. Here are some pics from the morning out....

Good morning sleepy head! She looks race ready.
It's a sunrise morning on the Etowah campus.
Kim mingles in the race crowd.
Little sprinter and Kimmy pose for a pic.
Reese using her "bull horn" to cheer on Mommy. This is hilarious when she does it.
Future track star?

Kim....upper right....kicks it to the finish line on the track.

We had a great time and Reese was so patient during the race. She had a good time running around the track while the race was going on and yelled for Mommy when we could see her. Kim was loaded with energy after the race and proceeded to kick my butt in the yard for the remainder of the day. Luckily for the both of us Reese takes a nap and I was able to get a little shut eye to make up for the early wake up on Saturday.

I've got more to cover this week including Reese's 2nd birthday and some musings from the road....I travel and think of things worth blogging or griping about and then put humor into them because I could never make it if I didn't laugh it off. Later folks.

No comments: