Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Prepping for Saturday...

One more day and I have to do this for real....I have to ride in a pack of - more than likely - well trained cyclist and keep pace. Oh I'm sure that there will be enthusiasts there...stroller types...Sunday poke arounds...but there will be a large number of real riders as well. I'm a little nervous about this. I don't have a road bike...I ride a hybrid which isn't all that great for road OR trail but could feasibly do both if asked to. Am I going to stand out like a sore thumb in a crowd of bike jersey wearing go fast types?

I haven't ridden any miles since the Friday that I attempted the 48 miles until tonight and I went out and blistered my lap of Towne Lake with a 28:57 performance...my best time ever. Two weeks off kept my legs from responding to the burn but I was gassed at the end which isn't all that normal now. But I can't keep that pace Saturday....

Only riding 7 miles tonight and then trying to pull off 48 Saturday....I'll need to pace myself...listen to slower music...fall in with a decent paced group...but will "my pace" exist? We'll see. I'll finally learn if I'm ok at this new hobby or if I need to train like hell through the winter and try again in the spring.

I'm excited about this but I almost liked the solitude of the ride two Friday's ago. No pressure, no idle chat when I didn't feel like it, no pace to keep....just my legs begging to pull over and something in my head saying nope...not yet. I like that. I haven't had that feeling in a long time in a "sport". So don't look for me in a brightly colored jersey and blowing the doors off of the pack....but look for my big butt to finish this ride and toast a cold beer when I'm done.

I just hope it doesn't rain on me...that would suck.

2 comments:

Judith said...

Oh Lord....are you going to be one of those "Turtle Heads" that come through our neighborhood??? LoL I love you anyway.....

Jay said...

You an do it - it's mostly mental. I've got the Dahlonega 100 mile ride next weekend. My first real group event and I'm already nervous. "I feel your pain".
Go your own pace and just keep thinking of the liquid reward at the end!
Good luck and have fun!!